Thursday, March 27, 2008

Coney Island Carousel Goes to Ohio. For Like, Four Years

Two years ago, the city purchased the 76-year-old "Coney Island Carousell" for $1.8 million and hired carousel restorer Todd W. Goings to refurbish the ride. Goings and his men shipped the 50 steeds back to Marion, Ohio.

Tuesday, they came back for the rest of the carousel.

New York Magazine reports that it will take two more years for the revamped carousel to come back to its new home, in Steeplechase Plaza, the “new iconic civic and entertainment destination” in Coney Island.

The Last of the Coney Island Carousels Leaves New York NY Magazine's Daily Intel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This Carousel means so much in sentimental memories to so many!
I have wonderful childhood memories of riding the carousel and reaching for the brass ring! I got really good at it! I remember my dad taking my brother, sister & me on a Sunday morning. xoxo to all who cared to save it. Miss Linda