Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Should We Be Surprised? Mayor No Longer a Republican

Mayor Michael Bloomberg issued a press release this evening saying, “I have filed papers with the New York City Board of Elections to change my status as a voter and register as unaffiliated with any political party. Although my plans for the future haven’t changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our City."

Now that he's no longer a Republican, the question is: will Bloomberg run for the White House?

According to ABC News, Greg Strimple, a Republican strategist in New York said, "If he runs, this guarantees a Republican will be the next president of the United States. The Democrats have to be shaking in their boots."

The CityRoom blog at the New York Times has more.

No comments: