The above (click to enlarge) is part of a farm line map compiled and drawn by Henry Fulton in 1874. Wards 13, 14, 15 and 16 make up Williamsburg. The red line that makes up the right border of section 13 runs along Division Avenue, which still exists today. The little island on the far right edge is part of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The colored areas are farm parcels, labeled with each farmer's name.
In Ward 1 we see there was Remsen property and Pierrepont property. Jacob and John Hicks owned most of the north Heights. Ralph Patchen owned a nice chunk straddling Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill. The Pierreponts owned the yellow-shaded property centered around Pierrepont Street. Jacon Bergen owned a big part of Boerum Hill. (J. Boerum himself owned a few blocks farther out as well.)
Because there's a special viewer, you can see the maps in higher resolution that we have captured here. Check out the entire David Rumsey Historical Map Collection which includes atlases, maritime charts and more.
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.