|Photos by MK Metz|
Above, Henry Street, near Love Lane. During Washington's time, a British fort stood across the street.
Montague Street Penny Bridge extended over Montague Street where it went down to the Wall Street Ferry on the waterfront.
In the mid 1800s, the Fireman’s Hall was built on Henry Street across from the block shown above. According to Whitman's Brooklyn, the hall "was another outgrowth of the Great Fire of 1848 that burned much of Downtown Brooklyn from Washington [Cadman Plaza East] to Pineapple to Henry to Sands Street."
The church "was built as the Church of the Holy Trinity by Brooklyn paper manufacturer Edgar Bartow who wanted a magnificent edifice for the City of Brooklyn, with pews that were rent-free. He built it between 1844 and 1847 on the highest point in Brooklyn Heights, which was sparsely settled with some large merchants’ homes, small homes and shops and a number of unfinished streets and vacant lots. Bartow purchased the site’s eight lots from the nearby estate of Hezekiah B. Pierrepont (his wife’s family)."
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.