The Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation voted to issue a Request for Proposals for a consultant to explore alternate funding sources for the park. According to the Brooklyn Eagle, whatever new uses are arrived at would replace condos that were planned in the park.
The installations all together would have to generate between $8 and $9 million in funds to make up for the loss of the condo developments.
The properties range from the deluxe Hotel Bossert on Montague Street to brownstones, high-rises and parking lots. They are all just a stone's throw from the park. (More about these properties at TRD.)
In the meantime, smaller concessions might include any number of fanciful fund-raisers. Examples include:
- A bike rental concession (including those multi-rider bikes with canopies).
- A Zip Line. Whee!
- Brooklyn-themed mini-golf.
- Corporate sponsorships and naming rights subscriptions. Park uniforms with logos.
- An outdoor rock-climbing concession.
- Charge a fee to all those damn tour buses that clog the Fulton Ferry Landing entrance to the park.
- The Brooklyn Duck amphibious boat tour. Charge an operator to dock or park and a yearly fee.
- A walkway where each brick or cobblestone has the name of someone who donated a certain amount of money. It keeps getting longer. And longer.
Even artist-designed donation boxes would bring in thousands of dollars.
Any more ideas?
Photo by MK Metz
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.