|Power outages map updated 10:30 p.m.|
Con Edison has reduced voltage by 5 percent -- causing "brownouts" -- to many neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens due to problems with electrical equipment.
Additionally, scattered power outages are breaking out across Brooklyn and Queens. In Brooklyn, roughly
UPDATE: More than a thousand customers were without power in Brooklyn at 10:00 p.m. Wednesday night, but that number is fluctuating. Several hundreds more lost power in Queens.
Voltage-reduction areas in Brooklyn and Queens include these neighborhoods:
* East New York, Cypress Hills, Highland Park, City Line and Starrett City.
* Sheepshead Bay, Marine Park, Gerritsen Beach, Midwood, Flatbush, and East Flatbush.
* Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bedford Stuyvesant, Clinton Hill, Fort Greene and Park Slope.
* Glen Oaks, Floral Park, Bellerose, Queens Village, Bellaire, Holliswood, Hollis, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, Jamaica, South Jamaica, Jamaica Hills, Glendale, Forest Hills, Forest Hills Gardens, and Middle Village.
* Broad Channel, South Ozone Park, Howard Beach, Lindenwood, Ozone Park, Richmond Hill, Woodhaven and Kew Gardens.
Con Edison has asked customers in these areas not to use appliances such as washers, dryers, air conditioners and other energy-intensive equipment and to turn off lights and televisions when not needed until the equipment problems are resolved.
You can keep refrigerators on, but keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed to help save energy.
Customers can report power interruptions or service problems as well as view service restoration information online at www.conEd.com. Customers may also call Con Edison at 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.