|Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina (2nd from left). Photo by Demetrius Freeman, Mayoral Photo Office|
NYC's Muslim kids so longer have to feel left out during major holidays:
Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña announced on Wednesday that city schools will close for Eid al-Adha next September. (Summer school will also close for Eid-al-Fitr in 2016.)
According to the Brooklyn Eagle, Fariña told reporters that the city has had “unbelievable support from the Muslim community and I want to particularly single out Debbie Almontaser and her family.”
It's nice to see Ms. Almontaser finally get some respect from New York City, after the shameful way she was treated in 2007 by then-Mayor Bloomberg, who caved into extremist right-wing demands and removed her from the school she founded.
Eid al-Adha meaning "Festival of the sacrifice." According to Wikipedia, Eid al-Adha honors the willingness of Abraham (Ibrahim) to sacrifice his promised son, Ishmael (Ismail)a, as an act of submission to God's command, before God then intervened.
Previous mentions of Almontaser
- Almontaser Gets Her Story
- Brooklyn's Arabic School to Hit the Road Again?
- Judge Rules Against Ex-Principal of Brooklyn Arabic School
- Arabic School, Taxi Strike, and Other Brooklyn News in Brief
- Brooklyn in Brief -- Weekend Edition
- Rally in Support of Brooklyn's Arabic School Principal
- Brilliant or Crazy? Jewish Principal Appointed for Brooklyn's Arabic School
- Brooklyn's Arabic School Principal Resigns in 'I-Word' Flap
- Arabic-Themed School Finds a Home
- Brooklyn in Brief, Monday P.M.
- DOE to 'Cram' Arab-Themed School into Slope Elementary School
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.