According to AccuWeather, Saturday's high was 86 degrees, though the humidity made it feel like it was in the 90s.
McBrooklyn decided it would be a perfect day to check out the reports that synthetic turf gets much hotter than the ambient temperature, so we grabbed our wall thermometer and trotted over to Cadman Plaza Park, recently covered with plastic grass.
Wow, were we surprised to see the temperature of the synthetic turf -- higher than 125 degrees! The Park is lovely, but that "Field Turf" is HOT!
Previous posts on this topic:
- With Hoopla But No Protests, Brooklyn's Astroturfed Cadman Plaza Park Unveiled
- Cadman Plaza Park Opens --- Officially
- Blue/ Green Slime Invades What Remains of Cadman Plaza Park
- Cadman Plaza Park Opened -- But Not by Parks Department
- Parks Dept. Refuses to Study Synthetic Turf Health Risks
- Keeping 'Em Down on the Farm
- Toxic Park in Brooklyn Heights?
Photos by MK Metz