|Volunteers sort through clothing in Red Hook. Photo: MK Metz|
But people are STILL without electricity two weeks after the storm. Have you been looking for a way to help? Here's what to do:
- Text ‘Brooklyn’ to 25383 to donate $10 to The Brooklyn Recovery Fund, a joint effort between the Brooklyn Community Foundation, the Office of the Brooklyn Borough President, and the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. They funnel the money to the non-profits out in the field.
- Occupy Sandy operates a highly-lauded central command hub, sending volunteers all over the city to where help is needed most.
- The Brooklyn Eagle has compiled a page of volunteer opportunities by neighborhood.
- Are you an animal lover or a foodie? People are needed to board displaced pets and help find owners; and people with cooking and kitchen management skills are needed to work as supervisors. See Brokelyn
- Check out New York City's service page. The entire bottom half is devoted to Sandy-related volunteer opportunities.
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.