|Photos ©2014 MK Metz|
French hats and sunglasses are a must!
Just ask this guy . . .
Viva the French! (and sponsor French apéritif co. Ricard)
Smith Street was covered with sand by John Quadrozzi's cement company for the petanque tournament. In petanque, competitors throw metal balls (boules), trying to get close to a little ball called a "pig" (cochonnet).
This year was extra special as a large video screen was set up for spectators to watch the finals of the World Cup between Germany and Argentina. In extra time, victory for Germany. What a game!
|All photos ©2014 MK Metz|
Brooklyn's Bastille Day event was founded 10 years ago by Bette Stoltz along with restaurants Bar Tabac and Robin des Bois (now shuttered), and is sponsored by French apéritif company Ricard.
The actual holiday, which commemorates the storming of the Bastill in 1789, taks place on July 14 but in Brooklyn, it always takes place on Sunday.
Previous posts on this topic:
- Bastille Day in Brooklyn this Sunday: Petanque AND the Final World Cup Game 2014
- The French Get Their Party On in Brooklyn for Bastille Day 2013
- Good Times at Brooklyn's Bastille Day 2012
- 2012 Bastille Day Coming Up
- Bastille Day 2011
- 2011 Bastille Day Coming Up
- Brooklyn's Bastille Day, 2010
- Brooklyn's 2010 Bastille Day Celebration Looking Big
- Brooklyn Bastille Day 2009 -- Great Day, Big Crowds
- Bastille Day 2009 in Brooklyn
- Bastille Day in Brooklyn: The French Conquer Smith Street
- Brooklyn's Bastille Day: Smith Street, Sunday
- Bastille Day in Brooklyn -- La Rue de Smith Sautait!
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.