The Brooklyn Eagle reports that The Busy Chef on Henry Street in Brooklyn Heights, "mired in scandal after the arrest of its manager Dan Kaufman for identity theft and credit card forgery," was closed for business Tuesday, along with its sister stores – the Blue Pig ice cream shop and Oven restaurant.
An employee told the Eagle that all three businesses were now permanently shuttered, along with the Busy Chef on Court Street.
In addition to the $25 grand that Kaufman allegedly stole from customers, one employee told the Eagle that Kaufman stole much more from the business itself, allegedly falsifying the books to cover up the losses.
Now, in this terrible economy, four stores worth of employees are out on the street and the owners are out who knows how much income.
More at the Eagle.
The Brooklyn Heights Blog has posted quite a bit about Dan Kaufman. Here's the latest.
- Why the Brooklyn Paper Didn't Write About the Crook at the Busy Chef and What This Means For America
- Arrested Busy Chef Partner Has a History in Boston
- A Busy Brooklyn Chef Now Under Arrest
- Downtown Brooklyn Busy Chef Pretty Busy
- Busy Chef Empire: Frozen Dinners or Homemade Cuisine?
- Busy Chef coming to Court Street
Go to McBrooklyn's HOME PAGE.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008